TEN STRATEGIES OF PEOPLE WHO SUCCESSFULLY LIVE WITH CHRONIC PAIN
1. THEY KEEP LIVING-They make a point to engage in activities that make them happy, even if modified. They do not stop doing what they enjoy.
2. THEY MINIMIZE MEDICATION- They use medicine effectively – not dependently – and strive to use the minimal amount possible.
3. THEY EAT RIGHT- They know a good diet is a key to maintaining a healthy weight especially when they may be less active than usual.
4. THEY EXERCISE- They know that patients who remain active feel better in the long term than those who remain sedentary for fear of worsening their pain.
5. THEY MODIFY SURROUNDINGS- They find adaptive products that provide easier access for daily living such as footstools, pillows, etc.
6. THEY RELAX- They find a relaxation technique like meditation, yoga or reading that creates a comfort zone they can use regularly.
7. THEY CONSIDER THEIR PARTNERS-They ensure that the pain does not becomes a third party in their relationship by giving it too much attention and instead focus more time on friendship and love.
8. THEY REMAIN ENGAGED- They value emotional support from family, friends and loved ones and do not separate themselves from society.
9. THEY LIMIT COMPLAINING-They know it is a burden to constantly listen to complaining so they do so only during mutually agreed upon “venting” times.
10. THEY STAY POSITIVE-They don’t blame others and instead own their pain as their responsibility. They know attitude is everything and happiness is a choice.